From the LiveWhale interface, click the “News” tab. (If the News tab does not appear, the administrator has not assigned the news module to you.)
The manage news screen will list all news in your group.
From left to right, each news story displays:
- A checkbox allowing you to select multiple news stories and perform bulk actions from the “With checked items…” dropdown menu. Available actions include: delete, remove tags, remove balloons, move to archive, add star, remove star, share, unshare, set status, and add tag. Check the checkbox next to the news stories you wish to apply an action to, then select the desired action from this menu and click the “Go” button. Use the “select all” link to select all items in the list.
- A star. Click on the star to flag the news item as “big news”. These items can optionally be highlighted on your web page, or you may choose to only display starred news with your widget. Starred news will also appear as important to other groups on the news sharing page.
- The status menu. If you wish to change the status of news stories, select the appropriate status here. “Live” will publish the item immediately, “Hidden” will hide the item from your web site until you are ready to publish it. If your group contains news reporters, selecting “To Reporters” and “From Reporters” will allow you to send and receive news stories with these users.
- The news headline. Click the headline to edit the news story.
- If the news story is tagged, a list of these tags will appear beside the headline. Clicking a tag will tell the news manager to only show news with that tag.
- Beneath the headline is the date of the news story.
- Use the preview link to preview this item as it will appear on the public web site.
- To move this news item to the archive, where it will not be shown on the public web site by default, click “Archive now”.
- To the right of the news story is the balloons feature, which will allow you to rank your news items according to their importance. The more balloons, the higher the news item appears in news lists on your web site. Click the gray balloon to add more, and click on the red balloons to drop them back down in the list. When an item reaches the maximum ten balloons, it will become a gold balloon.
When certain elements are modified (such as news status), a message saying “Your changes to this page have not been saved” will be displayed. Click the “Save These Changes” button to save the changes you have made.
If a news story is a link to an external article, it will display a small link icon before the headline. If the link appears to be broken, the link will display broken and highlighted in red.
To add a new news story, click the “Add a New Story” link.
A “Show by tag” dropdown menu is also available to display news tagged with the selected item.
The news manager is divided into sections, accessible by the links beneath the tab bar: News, Archive, Import From Feed, and Find News.
For information on managing news, please see “Managing news”.
For information on the news archive, please see “Managing archived news”.
For information on importing news from a feed, please see “Importing news from a feed”.
For information on the Find News feature, please see “Finding shared news”.